Master of Theology
About this course
Master of Theology (CRICOS: 063709G)
AQF 9 – Masters Degree
A Bachelor of Theology
1.5 years full-time or 4.5 years part-time
108 credit points (12 course units) at AQF 8 and/or AQF 9 level (8500 and/or 9600 series)
- A maximum of four course units (36 credit points) may be taken at 8500 level
- The Research Methodology unit X8500 may be taken in addition to these four units
- All other units are taken at 9600 level
- Unit content may not be similar to that of units undertaken previously, e.g., in a Bachelor of Theology
- The Master of Theology requires either specialization or in-depth studies
- A specialisation comprises six units (54 credit points) in a discipline or sub-discipline
- In-depth studies require 3 units (27 credit points) in two or more disciplines or sub-disciplines
- At least one generic research unit (9 credit points) must be included
Disciplines: Biblical Studies, Humanities in the Christian Tradition (Church History, Philosophy), Christian Life and Ministry (Christian Ethics, Christian Spirituality, Mission, Pastoral Counselling, Pastoral Theology, Worship and Liturgy), Theology
Sub-Disciplines: Biblical Studies, Christian Ethics, Christian Spirituality, Church History, Mission, Pastoral Counselling, Pastoral Theology, Philosophy, Theology, Worship and Liturgy.
The Master of Theology is a coursework program designed for those who hold at least a Bachelor of Theology (or equivalent) and who wish to pursue theological studies in greater depth and with greater rigour. It includes either a specialisation of six units in one discipline or sub-discipline, or in-depth studies of three units in two or more disciplines or sub-disciplines, along with the opportunity for a focused research project.
Articulation to Other SCD Awards
Students are eligible to articulate to the Master of Philosophy, Doctor of Ministry, or Doctor of Theology offered by the Sydney College of Divinity provided they meet the entry requirements (including undertaking a specified research component within the Master of Theology).