Rev. Dr Patrick McInerney ssc
Lic Arabic and Islamics (PISAI, 1986), MTheol (MCD, 2003), PhD (ACU, 2009)
+ 61 2 9352 8002
- LISAI – Licentiate in the Study of Arabic and Islamics [(PISAI), Rome 1986]
- TheolM – [Melbourne College of Divinity, 2003]
- PhD – [Australian Catholic University, 2009]
- Islam & Christian-Muslim Relations
- Interreligious Relations
- Lonergan Studies
Fr Patrick McInerney is a Columban missionary priest from South Australia and was ordained in 1978. He was assigned to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan for more than twenty years, where he was involved in a variety of ministries – parish, teaching, administration, leadership, and Christian-Muslim Relations.
He completed a licence at the Pontifical Institute for the Study of Arabic and Islamics in Rome in 1986, a Masters in Theology at the Melbourne College of Divinity in 2003, and a Doctorate in Theology at the Australian Catholic University in 2009.
Fr Patrick is the Director of the Columban Mission Institute in Strathfield, the Coordinator of its Centre for Christian-Muslim Relations and a staff member of its Centre for Mission Studies. For further details see www.columban.org.au and follow the links to the respective Centres. He lectures in Islam and Interreligious Dialogue at the Catholic Institute of Sydney. He is also a staff member of the Broken Bay Institute’s faculty for Mission and Culture and lectures in Islam and Interreligious Dialogue with the University of Newcastle.
He is a member of the Australian Catholic Council for Ecumenism and Interreligious Relations (ACCEIR) (which advises the Bishop’s Commission on Ecumenism and Interrreligious Relations), a board member of the Australian Catholic University’s Centre for Inter-religious Dialogue (CID), and on the Executive of the NSW branch of Religions for Peace (RfP). In 2011 Fr Patrick was awarded the title of Honorary Fellow of the Australian Catholic University (ACU).
Fr Patrick attends interfaith and multi-faith conferences, and gives talks and lectures on Islam, Christian-Muslim Relations, Interreligious Relations and mission related topics to a wide variety of audiences.
- McInerney, Patrick J. “Towards a More Positive Appreciation of the Faith of Muslims: Theological Resolution of Vatican Ambivalence.” In Australian EJournal of Theology 19, no. 1 (2012): 16-28. http://aejt.com.au/2012/vol_19/vol_19_no_1_2012.
- McInerney, Patrick J. “God, the Architect of Human Freedom and Religion Its Servant.” In God, Freedom and Nature, edited by Ronald S Laura, Rachel A Buchanan and Amy K Chapman. 126-31. Sydney / New York / Boston: Body and Soul Dynamics, 2012.
- McInerney, Patrick J. “Religion and Violence.” Interface: A Forum for Theology in the World 10, no. 1 (2007): 1-16.
- McInerney, Patrick J. Being Children of Abraham Today Australian EJournal of Theology – Issue 8, October 2006. Available from http://dlibrary.acu.edu.au/research/theology/ejournal/aejt_8/mcinerney.htm
- McInerney, Patrick J.”The Address of Pope Benedict on Faith and Reason.” Compass 40, no. Summer (2006): 26-29.
- McInerney, Patrick J. “September Eleven. What Hope for Unity? The Mission of the Church.” South Pacific Journal of Mission Studies, no. 27 (2002).
- McInerney, Patrick J. “Differences Make All the Difference. “In Travelling Together – Beyond Dialogue: Peace and Dialogue in a Plural Society – Common Values and Responsibilities, 49-59. Moonee Ponds: Australian Intercultural Society Inc., 2002.