Rev Peter Williams
BA (ANU, 1975), BTh (ACT, 1979), BEd (Latrobe, 1990), MTh (Sydney, 1995), MA (CUA, 1997), DUniv (ACU, 2014), Hon FCGM
+ 61 2 9752 9500
- Doctor of the University (honoris causa), Austrlian Catholic Univertsity (2014)
- Master of Arts, Catholic University of America (1997)
- Master of Theology, Sydney University (1995)
- Bachelor of Theology, Australian College of Theology (1979)
- Bachelor of Education, Latrobe Univertsity (1990)
- Bachelor of Arts, Australian National University (1975)
Areas of Research Interest
Liturgical architecture. Liturgical music. Ritual theory.
My education has spanned a number of tertiary institutions over the course of my adult life. My interest in liturgy probably emerged from having been involved as a liturgical musician from an early age as both a singer and also as an organist. The opportunity to study liturgy formally came in 1994 when Bishop Bede Heather invited me to study abroad at the Catholic University of America.
Since returning from the US I spent ten years as Executive Secretary to the Bishops’ Commission for Liturgy and oversaw the National Liturgy Office. I was involved in the planning and construction of St Patrick’s Cathedral Parramatta from 1997 to its completion in 2003. In 2006 I was appointed Director of Liturgy for World Youth Day Sydney in 2008. After World Youth Day I was engaged by the International Commission on English in the Liturgy to prepare an interactive CD Rom to provide and education tool in the English speaking world for the translation of the Roman Missal 2010. In 2011 I was appointed Vicar General of the Diocese of Parramatta, a post which I still hold.
I have been teaching liturgy at CIS for a number of years both undergraduate and graduate courses. In 2018, I was awarded a Fellowship of the Guild of Church Musicians (honoris causa).
- Chair of the Editorial Committee of Catholic Worship Book II – Morning Star Publishing 2016.