Please note, all students study face-to-face at our Strathfield campus and all international students must study full time (four course units per semester; eight course units per academic year). The Catholic Institute of Sydney (CIS) does not offer distance or online studies.
Prospective international undergraduate students will usually apply for our Bachelor of Theology (BTh) program. Steps to begin the application process include:
- If an applicant has not completed secondary school or a bachelor’s degree in Australia (or Canada (in English), New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom, or the United States of America) an English language test is required. We require the IELTS academic test with results of 6.5 or higher in all bands (listening, reading, writing, speaking). We will need a copy of your result certificate, more details on the test can be found here https://www.ielts.org/ or https://ielts.com.au/;
- CIS needs to know the student’s canonical status, i.e., lay, clergy, religious (brother or sister).
- Lay applicants with prior tertiary studies will require a letter of recommendation from their last place of study (Dean of Studies / Head of School / Rector etc.);
- Applicants who are not lay will require a letter of recommendation/support from their ordinary/superior;
- CIS requires an officially certified copy of every applicant’s passport;
- CIS requires certified copies of all tertiary level academic transcripts and testamurs / diplomas, or high school record if no tertiary awards have been completed. On some occasions, CIS will require transcripts to be sent directly to CIS from the relevant institution;
- Documents not in English will need to be translated into English and signed by a certified translator;
- Applicants will need to provide precise details of intended site of accommodation in Sydney while they study; and,
- CIS will lastly need a fully completed application form from our website (if a field does not apply please mark n/a): http://www.cis.catholic.edu.au/admissions/enrolment/. Applications with blank fields will not be considered.
Some students may wish to apply for postgraduate admission into one of our Master’s awards (MA, MTh). For postgraduate admission eligibility, their prior completed studies need to meet the admission requirements for the award. IELTS requirements remain the same except that the level for post-graduate studies is 7.0 in all bands.
More information on these awards can be found under the ‘Courses & Awards’ menu.
Please note: the following awards are available at CIS for International Students:
- BTh (with or without STB)
- MTh (with or without STL)
Additional information for international students can be found at the Sydney College of Divinity’s website: http://scd.edu.au/international-students/
Campus Orientation at CIS is held 5:00pm – 6:00pm on the Thursday before Week 1 in both semesters. Study skills days are offered the Saturday morning after Week 3 in both semesters (9:30am – 12:30pm). An acculturation morning is offered the Saturday morning after Week 4 in Semester 1 (9:30am – 12:30pm). See the Full Academic Calendar for more details. Information about orientation is also included in your semester enrolment letter.
- Before Enrolment
- Student Support
- Student Choices
- Changing Enrolment
- Course Progress and Attendance
- Complaints and Appeals
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS MANUAL
- International Students – 1 Welcome
- International Students – 2 Pre Arrival Information
- International Students – 3 Settling In
- International Students – 4 Studying at the Catholic Institute of Sydney
- International Students – 5 Social and Cultural
Useful Quick Links
- Fair Work Ombudsman — International Students
- Redfern Legal Centre — International Student Legal Advice
- Service NSW — International Student Support
- Australian Visa Conditions
- Sydney College of Divinity
- NSW Transport Information
Further enquiries on the above or completed applications can be directed to the CIS Registrar, Mr Jason Israel:
Phone: +61 2 9752 9503 Email: Click Here
Semester and Study Weeks:
Monday – Thursday 10 am – 6 pm
Friday 9 am – 5 pm
Mid-Semester Vacations and Summer / Winter Recess:
Monday – Friday 9 am – 5 pm