Rev Prof. Gerard Kelly*
Head of Theology
STB (CIS, 1980), STL (CIS, 1986), PhD (Collège universitaire dominicain d’Ottawa, 1992), STD (Collège universitaire dominicain d’Ottawa, 1996)
+ 61 2 9752 9510
- Doctor of Sacred Theology, Collège universitaire dominicain (1996)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Theology), Collège universitaire dominicain (1992)
- Licentiate in Sacred Theology, Catholic Institute of Sydney (1986)
- Baccalaureate in Sacred Theology, Catholic Institute of Sydney (1980)
- Ecclesiology, with a particular focus on Christian unity
- Baptism and Eucharist, and their significance for the unity of the Church.
I am a priest of the Archdiocese of Sydney and was ordained in 1980, after studies at the Catholic Institute of Sydney at St Columba’s College, Springwood and St Patrick’s College, Manly. I joined the academic staff of CIS in 1986, and was given study leave in 1988 to pursue doctoral studies at the Collège universitaire domincain in Ottawa, Canada. I returned to CIS at the end of 1992.
I was President of the Catholic Institute of Sydney from 2004 until the end of 2017. In addition to teaching course units at both undergraduate and graduate level, I have also supervised research degree theses in systematic theology. I am currently the editor of the Australasian Catholic Record.
My research interests in ecumenism have seen me involved in theological dialogue. I am currently the Catholic co-chair of the Australian Lutheran-Roman Catholic Dialogue. In addition, I also chair the Faith and Unity Commission of the National Council of Churches in Australia.
- “Baptism in the Roman Catholic Church.” In Baptism: Historical, Theological and Pastoral Perspectives, edited by Gordon L. Heath and James D. Dvorak, 26–52. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2011.
- “Episkope: A Recent Study of the Lutheran-Roman Catholic Dialogue in Australia.” One in Christ 44, no. 2 (2010): 153–67.
- “To Keep in True Lent.” Australasian Catholic Record 86, no. 1 (2009): 33–44.
- “The Place of the Church in Christian Spirituality.” Terra Spiritus 5, no. 1 (2009). www.terraspiritus.com.au.
- “Called to be the One Church: A Step on the Ecumenical Journey.” Phromena 23 (2008): 11–21.
- “The Relationship between Mission and Identity: A Case Study from Theological Education.” Australasian Catholic Record 84, no. 1 (2007): 35–44.
- “Pioneers, not Problems: Interchurch Families.” Terra Spiritus 3, no. 1 (2007). www.terraspiritus.com.au.
- “A Papacy Communicated: John Paul II.” Compass 40, no. 3 (2006): 12–16.
- “The Presence of Christ in the Eucharist and the Church.” Australasian Catholic Record 82, no. 4 (2005): 445–53.
- “Lutheran-Roman Catholic Agreement on Justification: Suggestions for Talking about God Today.” Pacifica 17, no. 2 (2004): 184–96.
- Williamson, Ray and Gerard Kelly, eds. Eat This Bread, Drink This Cup: Eucharistic Practice in Australian Churches. Sydney: NSW Ecumenical Council, 2004.
- “The Sacramental Church and its Sacrament of Penance.” In A Hunger for Reconciliation, edited by Gerard Moore, 67–82. Strathfield, NSW: St Pauls Publications, 2004.
- “Baptism—Sacrament of the Birth of the Church.” In Prayer and Spirituality in the Early Church, Vol. 3: Liturgy and Life, edited by Bronwen Neil, Geoffret D. Dunn and Lawrence Cross, 159–65. Strathfield, NSW: St Pauls Publications, 2003.
- “Future Directions in Theological Education and Formation.” Australasian Catholic Record 79, no. 2 (2002): 164–75.
- “The Eucharist as Jesus’ Farewell Gift.” In The Eucharist: Faith and Worship, edited by Margaret Press, 11–26. Strathfield, NSW: St Pauls Publications, 2001.
- “The Eucharistic Doctrine of Transubstantiation.” In The Eucharist: Faith and Worship, edited by Margaret Press, 56–74. Strathfield, NSW: St Pauls Publications, 2001.
- “Intercommunion and Eucharistic Hospitality.” In The Eucharist: Faith and Worship, edited by Margaret Press, 109–27. Strathfield, NSW: St Pauls Publications, 2001.
- “Spirit, Church and the Ecumenical Endeavour.” In Starting with the Spirit. Task of Theology Today II, edited by Gordon Preece and Stephen Pickard, 153–76. Hindmarsh, SA: Australian Theological Forum, 2001.
- “Baptismal Unity in the Divided Church.” Worship 75, no. 6 (2001): 511–27.
- “Milestone to Unity: Lutheran–Roman Catholic Declaration on Justification.” Compass 35, no. 2 (2001): 27–36.
- “Local Dialogue on Interchurch Marriages.” Ecumenical Trends 30, no. 4 (2001): 15–16.
- “Church Unity! How Do We See It?” Sharing 59 (2001): 27–36.
- “Intercommunion—Critical for the Future of the Ecumenical Movement and Church Unity?” One in Christ 34, no. 4 (1998): 307–19.
- “Recognition of Ministries: A Shift in Ecumenical Thinking.” One in Christ 30, no. 1 (1994): 10–21.
- Recognition: Advanced Ecumenical Thinking. New York: Peter Lang, 1996.
- Borg, Robert, Gerard Kelly and Brian Lucas. Celebrating with Children. 2 vols. Sydney: E.J. Dwyer, 1990.